[ops][nova][designate] Does anyone rely on fully-qualified instance names?

Artom Lifshitz alifshit at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 17:29:57 UTC 2020

So coming in very late here with a more... radical? idea. This is just
brainstorming, but here it goes:

Neutron explodes when we update the port with an invalid `dns_name`
here [1]. The request we send in [1] is populated here [2]. So... why
not just *not* do that? IOW, the port will not have a `dns_name` set
at all by Nova when we create the VM, and users can use Neutron's
port-update API [3] to set the hostname they desire. That way, if
Neutron does return a BadRequest, it will really be because the fqdn
is invalid, not because Nova tried to be "smart".

[1] https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/train/nova/network/neutronv2/api.py#L1138
[2] https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/train/nova/network/neutronv2/api.py#L1494
[3] https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/network/v2/index.html?expanded=update-port-detail#update-port