[neutron][stable] Backport of the patch which bumps RPC version

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Thu Dec 3 15:00:31 UTC 2020

Hi Slawek,

Thanks for turning to the mailing list with this issue and for the
explanation!

In short: from stable core viewpoint I think this case could get an
exception and we could merge back patch [3] to Victoria and Ussuri.

Here is my thinking:

- If I understand correctly, the critical code change ([1]) is already
there in many release, in Ussuri (16.0.0, 16.1.0, 16.2.0) and Victoria
(17.0.0). So I think it would not be fortunate to revert the code
change, because it could cause some similar issue. (RPC change. Am I right?)
- The code change is there from Ussuri, which means actually the RPC has
changed already, only the versioning is missed.
- Also, as you wrote, it would mean easier upgrades to backport patch [3].
- Those, who already upgraded from Train to Ussuri probably bumped into
the issue, so in case the change is reverted they will face an issue again.

Based on these and what you wrote I think now the less problematic way
forward if we take an exception and propose + merge the backports.

If anyone has any other opinion or objection or sees any technical issue
we haven't thought of, then let us know!

Thanks,

Előd