[octavia] usage of SELECT .. FOR UPDATE

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 06:19:58 UTC 2020

Hi Mohammed,

Have you opened stories for these issues? I haven't seen any bug
reports about this. If not, could you capture your information in
stories for us to work against?

I am not sure I follow the issue fully, so hopefully we can clarify.

Housekeeping, when spares pool is enabled, boot spare amphora VMs. I'm
not sure how that could inhibit load balancers from provisioning.
Sure, some periodic jobs in the housekeeping process may deadlock and
not complete booting spare VMs, but this will not block any load
balancer provisioning. If there are no spares available the worker
will simply boot a VM as it would normally do without spares enabled
(This was functionality we added to Taskflow from the beginning to
make sure we didn't have issues blocking load balancers from
provisioning if the spares pool was depleted). This lock was added at
an operators request as they did not want any "extra" amphora booted
beyond the configured spares pool limit.

The quota management does lock the project during the critical phase
of managing the quota for the project, just like every OpenStack
project. If that is not completing the quota update in a timely
manner, please open a story with the logs so we can investigate. I
assume your application is correctly designed to handle an
asynchronous API (such as neutron, Octavia, etc.) and handle any
retry the request.

Michael