[all][infra] READMEs of zuul roles not rendered properly - missing content

Martin Kopec mkopec at redhat.com
Sun Aug 30 10:03:56 UTC 2020

Let's summarize the facts mentioned in the thread to continue discussion:
**1.** ".. zuul:rolevar::" structure is used to generate a documentation so
using a different syntax is not an option

**2.** turn rendering of rst files off:
**2a:** in order to make pointing to the source code easier - that's an
interesting topic, probably it would be better to discuss this separately -
turning rendering completely off would be a step back from the visual
perspective, however, I can imagine that referring to the specific lines of
rst files can be needed in some cases. The automatic rst rendering is
really useful, f.e when I open a repo I really appreciate that README.rst
is rendered under the list of files (f.e. this view [5]). On the other
side, when I open specifically a rst file (f.e. this view [6]) I can
totally imagine that this file would be opened in a mode when a user can
refer to any line like it is with any other source file. If not that, what
about adding a new button besides Raw, Permalink, Blame, History called
f.e. Source? This functionality would give a certain advantage to
opendev.org over github.com

**2b:** in order to avoid omitting content - as also mentioned in the
comments in [7] turning rendering completely off would be a step back at
least from the visual perspective, therefore I'd rather move to the
direction where we improved rendering capabilities - either switching to a
different rendering tool or just implementing some kind of try except block
as Jeremy suggested in [7] - if rendering of a certain block of code throws
an error, that part of the code would be rendered as is.

[5] https://opendev.org/openstack/tempest
[6] https://opendev.org/openstack/tempest/src/branch/master/README.rst
[7] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/747796/