[ops] Restructuring OSOPS tools

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Aug 27 17:06:51 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

We recently expanded the scope of the Ops Docs SIG to also include any
ops tooling. I think it's now time to move on to the next step of
actually getting some of the old tooling in place and organized how we
want it.

We have several semi-abandoned repos from back when there was more work
being done on ops tooling. During the great rebranding, those all were
moved under the x/ namespace:

https://opendev.org/x/?tab=&sort=recentupdate&q=osops

Since these are now owned by an official SIG, we can move this content
back under the openstack/ namespace. That should help increase
visibility somewhat, and make things look a little more official. It
will also allow contributors to tooling to get recognition for
contributing to an import part of the OpenStack ecosystem.

I do think it's can be a little more difficult to find things spread out
over several repos though. For simplicity with finding tooling, as well
as watching for reviews and helping with overall maintenance, I would
like to move all of these under a common openstack/osops. Under that
repo, we can then have a folder structure with tools/logging,
tools/monitoring, etc.

Then with everything in one place, we can have docs published in one
place that helps find everything and easily links between tools. We can
also capture some metadata about the tools, and use that to reflect
their state in those docs.

Please let me know if there are any objects to this plan. Otherwise, I
will start cleaning things up and getting it staged in a new repo to be
imported as an official repo owned by the SIG.

Thanks!

Sean