device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 13:24:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-08-20 at 14:27 +0800, Yan Zhao wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 06:16:28AM +0100, Sean Mooney wrote:

> > > hi Sean,
> > > I understand it's hard for openstack. but 1:N is always meaningful.
> > > e.g.
> > > if source device 1 has cap A, it is compatible to
> > > device 2: cap A,
> > > device 3: cap A+B,
> > > device 4: cap A+B+C
> > > to allow openstack to detect it correctly, in compatible list of
> > > device 2, we would say compatible cap is A;
> > > device 3, compatible cap is A or A+B;
> > > device 4, compatible cap is A or A+B, or A+B+C;
> > >
> > > then if openstack finds device A's self cap A is contained in compatible
> > > cap of device 2/3/4, it can migrate device 1 to device 2,3,4.
> > >
> > > conversely,  device 1's compatible cap is only A,
> > > so it is able to migrate device 2 to device 1, and it is not able to
> > > migrate device 3/4 to device 1.
> >
> > yes we build the palcement servce aroudn the idea of capablites as traits on resocue providres.
> > which is why i originally asked if we coudl model compatibality with feature flags
> >
> > we can seaislyt model deivce as aupport A, A+B or  A+B+C
> > and then select hosts and evice based on that but
> >
> > the list of compatable deivce you are propsoeing hide this feature infomation which whould be what we are matching
> > on.
> >
> > give me a lset of feature you want and list ting the feature avaiable on each device allow highre level ocestation
> > easily match the request to a host that can fulllfile it btu thave a set of other compatihble device does not help
> > with
> > that
> >
> > so if a simple list a capabliteis can be advertiese d and if we know tha two dievce with the same capablity are
> > intercahangebale that is workabout i suspect that will not be the case however and it would onely work within a
> > familay
> > of mdevs that are closely related.  which i think agian is an argument for not changeing the mdev type and at least
> > intially only look at migatreion where the mdev type doee not change initally.
> >

> sorry Sean, I don't understand your words completely.
> Please allow me to write it down in my words, and please confirm if my
> understanding is right.
> 1. you mean you agree on that each field is regarded as a trait, and
> openstack can compare by itself if source trait is a subset of target trait, right?
> e.g.
> source device
> field1=A1
> field2=A2+B2
> field3=A3
>
> target device
> field1=A1+B1
> field2=A2+B2
> filed3=A3
>
> then openstack sees that field1/2/3 in source is a subset of field1/2/3 in
> target, so it's migratable to target?

yes this is basically how cpu feature work.
if we see the host cpu on the dest is a supperset of the cpu feature used
by the vm we know its safe to migrate.

> 2. mdev_type + aggregator make it hard to achieve the above elegant
> solution, so it's best to avoid the combined comparing of mdev_type + aggregator.
> do I understand it correctly?
yes and no. one of the challange that mdevs pose right now is that sometiem mdev model
independent resouces and sometimes multipe mdev types consume the same underlying resouces
there is know way for openstack to know if i915-GVTg_V5_2 and i915-GVTg_V5_4 consume the same resouces
or not. as such we cant do the accounting properly so i would much prefer to have just 1 mdev type
i915-GVTg and which models the minimal allocatable unit and then say i want 4 of them comsed into 1 device
then have a second mdev type that does that since

what that means in pratice is we cannot trust the available_instances for a given mdev type
as consuming a different mdev type might change it. aggrators makes that problem worse.
which is why i siad i would prefer if instead of aggreator as prposed each consumable
resouce was reported indepenedly as different mdev types and then we composed those
like we would when bond ports creating an attachment or other logical aggration that refers
to instance of mdevs of differing type which we expose as a singel mdev that is exposed to the guest.
in a concreate example we might say create a aggreator of 64 cuda cores and 32 tensor cores and "bond them"
or aggrate them as a single attachme mdev and provide that to a ml workload guest. a differnt guest could request
1 instace of the nvenc video encoder and one instance of the nvenc video decoder but no cuda or tensor for a video
transcoding workload.

if each of those componets are indepent mdev types and can be composed with that granularity then i think that approch
is better then the current aggreator with vendor sepcific fileds.
we can model the phsical device as being multipel nested resouces with different traits for each type of resouce and
different capsities for the same. we can even model how many of the attachments/compositions can be done indepently
if there is a limit on that.

|- [parent physical device]
|--- Vendor-specific-attributes [optional]
|--- [mdev_supported_types]
|     |--- [<type-id>]
|     |   |--- create
|     |   |--- name
|     |   |--- available_instances
|     |   |--- device_api
|     |   |--- description
|     |   |--- [devices]
|     |--- [<type-id>]
|     |   |--- create
|     |   |--- name
|     |   |--- available_instances
|     |   |--- device_api
|     |   |--- description
|     |   |--- [devices]
|     |--- [<type-id>]
|          |--- create
|          |--- name
|          |--- available_instances
|          |--- device_api
|          |--- description
|          |--- [devices]

a benifit of this appoch is we would be the mdev types would not change on migration
and we could jsut compuare a a simeple version stirgh and feature flag list to determin comaptiablity
in a vendor neutral way. i dont nessisarly need to know what the vendeor flags mean just that the dest is a subset of
the source and that the semaitic version numbers say the mdevs are compatible.

> 3. you don't like self list and compatible list, because it is hard for
> openstack to compare different traits?
> e.g. if we have self list and compatible list, then as below, openstack needs
> to compare if self field1/2/3 is a subset of compatible field 1/2/3.
currnetly we only use mdevs for vGPUs and in our documentaiton we tell customer
to model the mdev_type as a trait and request it as a reuiqred trait.
so for customer that are doing that today changing mdev types is not really an option.
we would prefer that they request the feature they need instead of a spefic mdev type
so we can select any that meets there needs
for example we have a bunch of traits for cuda support
https://github.com/openstack/os-traits/blob/master/os_traits/hw/gpu/cuda.py
or driectx/vulkan/opengl https://github.com/openstack/os-traits/blob/master/os_traits/hw/gpu/api.py
these are closely analogous to cpu feature flag lix avx or sse
https://github.com/openstack/os-traits/blob/master/os_traits/hw/cpu/x86/__init__.py#L16

so when it comes to compatiablities it would be ideal if you could express capablities as something like
a cpu feature flag then we can eaisly model those as traits.