device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Jason Wang jasowang at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 02:54:07 UTC 2020

On 2020/8/18 下午5:36, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:16:28 +0100
> Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 05:01:51PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
>>>     On 2020/8/18 下午4:55, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
>>>
>>>   On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:24:30AM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
>>>
>>>   On 2020/8/14 下午1:16, Yan Zhao wrote:
>>>
>>>   On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 12:24:50PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
>>>
>>>   On 2020/8/10 下午3:46, Yan Zhao wrote:
>>>   we actually can also retrieve the same information through sysfs, .e.g
>>>
>>>   |- [path to device]
>>>      |--- migration
>>>      |     |--- self
>>>      |     |   |---device_api
>>>      |    |   |---mdev_type
>>>      |    |   |---software_version
>>>      |    |   |---device_id
>>>      |    |   |---aggregator
>>>      |     |--- compatible
>>>      |     |   |---device_api
>>>      |    |   |---mdev_type
>>>      |    |   |---software_version
>>>      |    |   |---device_id
>>>      |    |   |---aggregator
>>>

>>>   Yes but:
>>>
>>>   - You need one file per attribute (one syscall for one attribute)
>>>   - Attribute is coupled with kobject
> Is that really that bad? You have the device with an embedded kobject
> anyway, and you can just put things into an attribute group?

Yes, but all of this could be done via devlink(netlink) as well with low
overhead.

> [Also, I think that self/compatible split in the example makes things
> needlessly complex. Shouldn't semantic versioning and matching already
> cover nearly everything?

That's my question as well. E.g for virtio, versioning may not even
work, some of features are negotiated independently:

Source features: A, B, C
Dest features: A, B, C, E

We just need to make sure the dest features is a superset of source then
all set.

>   I would expect very few cases that are more
> complex than that. Maybe the aggregation stuff, but I don't think we
> need that self/compatible split for that, either.]
>
>>>   All of above seems unnecessary.
>>>
>>>   Another point, as we discussed in another thread, it's really hard to make
>>>   sure the above API work for all types of devices and frameworks. So having a
>>>   vendor specific API looks much better.
>>>
>>>   From the POV of userspace mgmt apps doing device compat checking / migration,
>>>   we certainly do NOT want to use different vendor specific APIs. We want to
>>>   have an API that can be used / controlled in a standard manner across vendors.
>>>
>>>     Yes, but it could be hard. E.g vDPA will chose to use devlink (there's a
>>>     long debate on sysfs vs devlink). So if we go with sysfs, at least two
>>>     APIs needs to be supported ...
>> NB, I was not questioning devlink vs sysfs directly. If devlink is related
>> to netlink, I can't say I'm enthusiastic as IMKE sysfs is easier to deal
>> with. I don't know enough about devlink to have much of an opinion though.
>> The key point was that I don't want the userspace APIs we need to deal with
>> to be vendor specific.
>  From what I've seen of devlink, it seems quite nice; but I understand
> why sysfs might be easier to deal with (especially as there's likely
> already a lot of code using it.)
>
> I understand that some users would like devlink because it is already
> widely used for network drivers (and some others), but I don't think
> the majority of devices used with vfio are network (although certainly
> a lot of them are.)

Note that though devlink could be popular only in network devices,
netlink is widely used by a lot of subsystesm (e.g SCSI).

Thanks