[openstack-community] [infra] Problem with ask.openstack.org

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Aug 7 00:41:36 UTC 2020

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020, at 5:29 PM, Bernd Bausch wrote:
> While ask.openstack.org is not necessarily loved by many, it continues
> to be used, and there are still people who answer questions.
>
> Recently, one of its features ceased working. I am talking about the
> answered or commented on. This makes it very hard to follow up on such
> questions; I don't have a tool to see if somebody anwered my question or
> is the person who asked a question has provided updates.
>
> Is there anybody who can fix this?
>
> I know that some people would like to do away with ask.openstack.org
> entirely, since the software is bug-ridden and nobody manages the site.
> My personal opinion is that the current situation is worse than no "ask"
> site at all, since people might ask questions, get partial answers and
> no follow-up. This can create a negative view of the OpenStack community.
>
> In short, either fix it or remove it. Unfortunately I don't have the
> means to do either.

I'm not able to debug the issue at this moment, but did want to point out that all of our config management is collaboratively managed in Git repos code reviewed in Gerrit. This means that if you know what the problem is you absolutely can fix it. Or if you'd prefer to turn off the service you can write a change for that as well. The biggest gap is in identifying the issue without access to server logs. Depending on the issue figuring out what is going on may require access.

Relevant bits of code:
https://opendev.org/opendev/system-config/src/branch/master/manifests/site.pp#L525-L538
https://opendev.org/opendev/system-config/src/branch/master/modules/openstack_project/manifests/ask.pp
https://opendev.org/opendev/puppet-askbot

Finally, we also expose server and service statistics via cacti and graphite. These can be useful for checking service health:
http://cacti.openstack.org/cacti/graph_view.php
https://grafana.opendev.org/?orgId=1

Clark