[cinder][nova] Local storage in compute node

Eric K. Miller emiller at genesishosting.com
Thu Aug 6 04:53:49 UTC 2020

I wasn't aware that the nova LVM backend ([libvirt]/images_type = lvm) didn't support thin provisioned LV's.  However, I do see that the "sparse_logical_volumes" parameter indicates it has been deprecated:
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/rocky/configuration/config.html#libvirt.sparse_logical_volumes

That would definitely be a downer.

> so just monting the nova data directory on an nvme driver or a raid of nvme
> drives
> works well and is simple to do.

Maybe we should consider doing this instead.  I'll test with the Nova LVM backend first.

> so there are trade off with both appoches.
> generally i recommend using local sotrage e.g. the vm root disk or ephemeral
> disk for fast scratchpad space
> to work on data bug persitie all relevent data permently via cinder volumes.
> that requires you to understand which block
> devices a local and which are remote but it give you the best of both worlds.

Our use case simply requires high-speed non-redundant storage for self-replicating applications like Couchbase, Cassandra, MongoDB, etc. or very inexpensive VMs that are backed-up often and can withstand the downtime when restoring from backup.

That will be one more requirement (or rather a very nice to have), is to be able to create images (backups) of the local storage onto object storage, so hopefully "openstack server backup create" works like it does with rbd-backed Nova-managed persistent storage.

I will let you know what I find out!

Thanks everyone!

Eric