[nova] Hyper-V hosts

Eric K. Miller emiller at genesishosting.com
Tue Aug 4 05:02:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

I thought I'd look into support of Hyper-V hosts for Windows Server
environments, but it looks like the latest cloudbase Windows Hyper-V
OpenStack Installer is for Train, and nothing seems to discuss the use
of Hyper-V in Windows Server 2019.  Has it been abandoned?

Is anyone using Hyper-V with OpenStack successfully?  One of the reasons
we thought we might support it is to provide nested support for VMs with
GPUs and/or vGPUs, and thought this would work better than with KVM,
specifically with AMD EPYC systems.  It seems that when "options kvm-amd
nested=1" is used in a modprobe.d config file, Windows machines lock up
when started.  I think this has been an issue for a while with AMD
processors, but thought it was fixed recently (I don't remember where I
saw this, though).

Would love to hear about any experiences related to Hyper-V and/or
nested hypervisor support on AMD EPYC processors.

Thanks!

Eric