[nova] [cinder] [ceph] Questioning deployment choices

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 14:54:42 UTC 2020

On 20-04-20 11:51:52, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> Hi Fellow OpenStackers!
>
> I have a question regarding nova-cinder-ceph deployment configuration.
> Most notably ephemeral storage.
>
> So - if I configure Nova to use Ceph as ephemeral storage and Cinder's
> only backend is Ceph as well then how does ephemeral storage differ
> from persistent storage now except for interface from Cinder rather
> than Nova (and all that comes with that) and a different pool?  Was
> Nova's Ceph integration added just to be able to avoid Cinder in
> certain scenarios?

The original change introducing support suggests this was due to Nova
not supporting booting from volumes in 2013?

Add RBD supporting to libvirt for creating local volume
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/36042/

> Other Cinder backends did not get support from Nova.

Yeah as since I've worked on Nova we've mostly pushed devs and users to
Cinder for any additional exotic storage backend support.

Cheers,

--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76