[qa][devstack] Moving to release specific nodesets and jobs for Fedora

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 20:10:59 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 10:38:26AM +0100, Lee Yarwood wrote:
> I'm personally on the fence about this as while it would be nice to have
> version specific nodesets and jobs it does introduce a lot of churn with
> each new release of Fedora across many projects:

This was exactly why fedora-latest was introduced; so that on new
distro releases all those got bumped automatically.  The idea was that
if you're using Fedora you basically expect a bump to happen for you.

Sometimes we get Fedora updates in within days of release, and other
times it takes *a lot* longer.  F31 has taken *a lot* longer; because
it stopped being able to be built on our extant Xenial builder hosts
because it moved packages to a new form of compression not supported
by the RPM available there.  Ergo we couldn't extract the rpms to the
base chroot that everything else builds ontop of.

So basically it got put behind creating/debugging nodepool-builder
container images, rewriting testing for these container images and
figuring out how to deploy them to production.  That is done now with
our nb04 host where Fedora is building now.

We know that the "run other distro tools on the host" approach is
fragile; using containers isolates us from host changes pretty well
now, but longer term there's ideas in progress around building up our
CI images from containers too.

So I don't feel like we want to go back to having a big pain bumping
Fedora releases each time; we should hopefully be in a position to
push out future releases in a much more timely manner.

That said ... Fedora never ceases to surprise!

-i