[goals][Drop Python 2.7 Support] Week R-6 Update

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Apr 13 16:02:09 UTC 2020

---- On Fri, 03 Apr 2020 04:41:46 -0500 Pavlo Shchelokovskyy <pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com> wrote ----

 > On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 5:53 AM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote:
 > Hello Everyone,
 >
 > Below is the progress on "Drop Python 2.7 Support" at end of R-6 week.
 >
 > Schedule: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/ussuri/drop-py27.html#schedule
 >

 > Highlights:
 > ========
 > * This is very close to mark as complete.
 > *  We merged many of charm repo patches and few more projects.
 > * Few ansible repo failing on centos7 and waiting for migration on centos8
 > *  I tried to reach out to team for pending patches.
 >
 > Project wise status and need reviews:
 > ============================
 > Phase-1 status:
 > All the OpenStack services have dropped the python2.7.
 >
 > Phase-2 status:
 >
 > * Pending Tempest plugins:
 > ** cyborg-tempest-plugin: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704076/
 > ** kuryr-tempest-plugin: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704072/
 >
 > * Pending pythonclient:
 > ** python-barbicanclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/699096/2
 > *** gate is already broken waiting for gate to be fixed.
 > ** python-zaqarclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/692011/4
 > ** python-tripleoclient: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703344
 >
 > * Few more repo patches need to merge:
 > ** masakari-specs: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/698982/
 > ** cyborg-specs: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/698824/
 > ** nova-powervm: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/700683/
 > ** paunch: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/703344/
 >
 > * Started pushing the required updates on deployment projects.
 >
 > ** Completed or no updates required:
 > *** Openstack-Chef - not required
 > *** Packaging-Rpm - Done
 > *** Puppet Openstack- Done
 > *** Tripleo - except python client, all is done.
 >
 > ** In progress:
 > *** Openstack Charms - Most of them merged, few failing on func job. debugging.
 > *** Openstackansible - In-progress. centos7 jobs are failing on few projects.
 >
 > ** Waiting from projects team to know the status:
 > *** Openstack-Helm (Helm charts for OpenStack services)
 >
 > Disclaimer: I am not a part of the openstack-helm team/community in the full sense of it,so these are my personal thoughts on the OpenStack-Helm vs Py3
 > OpenStack-Helm is a bit odd here:- it does not have stable branches- it has single (very ancient, 3 years ago) tag of 0.1.0- it still supports (as in deploys on CI) Ocata
 > Given community goal of "Python3 first" was targeting and completed in Stein, I don't think that openstack-helm should drop support of Python2 in their startup/readiness/liveness and other scripts unless they are willing to drop support of OpenStack releases earlier that Stein and demand images built on Py3 exclusively - and AFAICT they don't.

ok, I did not know that openstack-helm supports all the stable release with master version. If so then also we can go with tagging it and then drop the python2.7 which is what
we did for other branchless projects like Tempest etc. Release a tag before dropping and use that tag for any older release than Ussuri.

-gmann