[neutron][OVN] Issues trying to migrated to OVN using db sync util

Sam Morrison sorrison at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 02:00:35 UTC 2020

Hi Neutron/OVN devs/ops,

We are in the process of migrating to OVN, we are having issues getting all our neutron data into OVN using neutron-ovn-db-sync-util  tool

Our neutron has:

~250 networks/subnets
~11,000 ports
~53,000 security groups
~200,000 security group rules

The issues we have:
We get a lot of timeouts with ovsdb transaction so we have made it commit transactions every 50 items.
It takes ages to run, we haven’t got a full sync to happen but it has run for over 1.5 hours before we get an error.
The main issue is we are getting this error [1]  about dictionary changing which is preventing us from completing a full sync.

I’m wondering if there are any sites out there running with this size of secgroups/ports etc. We have dedicated hardware for the ovsdb servers etc. so I don’t think it’s something we can chuck more hardware at
We are running stein version and wondering if there has been any work in making this better in train or newer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide us.
Cheers,
Sam

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/networking-ovn/+bug/1871272