[tc][election] campaign discussion: how TC can solve the less contributor issue?

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Apr 6 20:21:05 UTC 2020

 ---- On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 11:34:36 -0500 Jeremy Freudberg <jeremyfreudberg at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > People generally contribute to something that they want to use. It is
 > really as simple as that.
 >
 > - Make sure that people understand what OpenStack is/does
 > - Make OpenStack easier to use
 > - Make OpenStack do more things
 > - Make OpenStack components reusable
 >
 > For the first three points: few people want to use something that they
 > don't understand or that they find difficult to use or that doesn't do
 > the things they want. For the last point: ok fine, maybe some people
 > don't need OpenStack but one of our components might be just what they
 > need to build their own cool thing, so why not mutually benefit?

I think all those points are valid but whats about existing users who are
using them. How we can convince them to contribute back?
Jay did a good job putting the clear pic on users vs contributors.

- https://governance.openstack.org/tc/user_survey/analysis-12-2019.html#to-which-projects-does-your-organization-contribute-maintenance-resources-such-as-patches-for-bug-and-reviews-on-master-or-stable-branches

-gmann