[tc] [ironic] Promoting ironic to a top-level opendev project?

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 13:16:23 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 3:13 PM Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Sean Mooney wrote:

> on

> >> As part of OpenStack, right.

> are
> offerings
> >>>

> >> All the same here: oslo libs are parts of OpenStack
> >> distributions/offerings. Meaning that to install Ironic you need to at
> >> least enable OpenStack repositories, even if you package Ironic
> yourself.
> > ya that is true although i think oslo is also a good candiate for
> standablone reuse
> > outside of openstack. like placment keystone and ironic are.
> > so in my perfered world i would love to see oslo in the base os repos.
>
> What's preventing that from happening ? What is distro policy around
> general-purpose but openstack-community-maintained Python libraries like
> stevedore or tooz ?

I don't think such a policy exists.

I think it's based on the actual usage by non-OpenStack consumers. I can
only speculate what prevents them from using e.g. oslo.config or stevedore.
Maybe they see that the source and documentation are hosted on openstack.org
and assume they're only for OpenStack or somehow require OpenStack (i.e.
same problem)?

Maybe it's something that docs.opendev.org/stevedore and
opendev.org/stevedore (no openstack) could help fixing?

Dmitry