[k8s][zun] Introduce a new feature in Ussuri - CRI integration

mdulko at redhat.com mdulko at redhat.com
Fri Apr 3 17:01:34 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 09:16 -0400, Hongbin Lu wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 7:28 AM <mdulko at redhat.com> wrote:

> > <snip!>

> > > Right. I also investigated the possibilities of reusing the kuryr-
> > > kubernetes codebase as well. Definitely, some codes are common among
> > > two projects. If we can move the common code to a library (i.e.
> > > kuryr-lib), Zun should be able to directly consume the code. In
> > > particular, I am interesting to directly consume the CNI binding code
> > > (kuryr_kubernetes/cni/binding/) and the VIF versioned object
> > > (kuryr_kubernetes/objects).
> > >
> > > Most parts of kuryr-kubernetes code is coupling with the "list-and-
> > > watch" logic against k8s API. Zun is not able to reuse those part of
> > > code. However, I do advocate to move all the common code to kuryr-lib
> > > so Zun can reuse it whenever it is appropriate.
> >
> > Uhm, moving more code into kuryr.lib is something Kuryr team would like
> > to avoid. Our tendency is rather to stop depending from it, as kuryr-
> > kubernetes being a CNI plugin is normally consumed as a container image
> > and having any dependencies is a burden there.
>
> Kuyur-lib is already a dependency for kuryr-kubernetes:
> https://github.com/openstack/kuryr-kubernetes/blob/master/requirements.txt
>  . Do you mean kuryr-kubernetes is going to remove kuryr-lib as a
> dependency? And I don't quite get the "container image"
> justification. Could you explain more?

Hi! Sorry for late reply, I must have missed that email when reading
the list.

Our plan was to move the bits from kuryr-lib that we use directly into
kuryr-kubernetes. This is basically the segmetnation_type_drivers
module and some utility functions.

kuryr-kubernetes is built as part of OpenShift (OKD) platform and OKD's
buildsystem doesn't handle dependencies too well. The problem is that
if we'd start to depend more on kuryr-lib, we would probably need to
fork it too as part of openshift's GitHub (note that we maintain fork
kuryr-kubernetes at github.com/openshift/kuryr-kubernetes with the bits
related to OKD builds).

> > That's why I was asking about modifications to kuryr-daemon code that
> > Zun required - to see if we can modify kuryr-daemon to be pluggable
> > enough to be consumed by Zun directly.
>
> In theory, you can refactor the code and make it pluggable. Suppose you are able to do that, I would still suggest to move the whole framework out as a library. That is a prerequisite for Zun (or any other projects) to consume it, right?

Right, without a shared library it's not an ideal solution, but library
is problematic for sure… Would it be possible for Zun to just run
kuryr-daemon directly from a kuryr-kubernetes release?