[tc] [ironic] Promoting ironic to a top-level opendev project?

Tom Barron tpb at dyncloud.net
Fri Apr 3 11:59:26 UTC 2020

On 03/04/20 09:30 +0200, Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 12:38 +0200, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
<snip>
> (snipped) I'm referring to a very narrow sense of Nova+company. I.e.
>> a solution for providing virtual machines booting from virtual
>> volumes on virtual networks. Ironic does not clearly fit there, nor
>> does, say, Zuul.
>
>Got it. That's not my understanding of what OpenStack is, but I concede
>that I might have a different view than most.

+1000 and I hope that we're all moving beyond this narrow
understanding of what OpenStack is.

I think of myself as working on OpenStack because I work on
self-service storage cloud  infrastructure with hard multi-tenant
separatiion in a community committed to a design and development
process committed to The Four Opens [1].  None of that requires that
the consumers of this self-service storage infrastructure be virtual
machines booting from virtual volumes on virtual networks.  Sure, Nova
VMs consume Manila shares.  But so do bare metal machines and
container workloads (via CSI plugins) themselves running on VMs and
running on bare metal, where the hosts theselves may or may not be
part of an OpenStack cloud.

It would be interesting to see the question at hand about Ironic
framed in the context of the recent OpenStack Technical Vision [2].
Is there an Ironic Vision that does not really align with it?

-- Tom Barron

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/opens.html

[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/technical-vision.html