[all] Curating the openstack org on GitHub

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Wed Apr 1 16:15:37 UTC 2020

On 4/1/20 11:07 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Ben Nemec wrote:
>> On 4/1/20 10:28 AM, Herve Beraud wrote:
>>> What do you think about creating a new openstack archive
>>> organization github.com/openstack-archive/
>>> <http://github.com/openstack-archive/> (or thing like that) and
>>> tranfert them to this organization?
>>
>> This is basically what openstack-attic was. [...]
>
> Except openstack-attic was defined and replicated from our side, not
> the result of a GitHub transfer. So if we were to do the same (rename
> all projects on opendev, sync them to GitHub), users of old
> repositories on GitHub would not be automagically transferred.

Would it be simpler in this case though. We would just:

1. Stop mirroring retired repos from our gitea to GitHub
2. Manually do a repo transfer from openstack/ to openstack-attic/ on GitHub
3. Set the openstack-attic/repo to Archived

Then anyone that still tries to clone from the old openstack namespaces
GitHub location will still get the files, but from that point on we
don't need to worry about mirroring or ongoing maintenance. It's
basically just a historical record. And if someone wants to for whatever
reason, they can fork that repo and do whatever they want to do with it.

Sean