[all][TC][PTL][election] Nominations Close & Campaigning Begins

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Apr 1 02:01:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-31 19:37:42 -0500 (-0500), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> Just curious about Barbican PTL nomination[1]. Douglas is
> returning PTL and email id the same as what we have currently in
> the governance page[2]. Also saw Ussuri cycle nomination also with
> the same email id[3].
>
> did he disabled/changed his OSF profile or some automatic disable
> happened? Though running as PTL even not voting in elections
> should be considered as an active member of the foundation.
>
> Or I can rephrase my question, should we extend the active
> foundation member criteria beyond election voting (like ATC, AUC
> even not voting in elections)?
[...]

Per the The OpenStack Foundation Technical Committee Member Policy
(appendix 4 of the Bylaws of the OpenStack Foundation):

[3.a.i] "An ATC is an Individual Member..."
https://www.openstack.org/legal/technical-committee-member-policy/

So we have a legal document currently requiring ATCs to be
Individual Members of the OSF in good standing. Changing this would
require more than just a decision by the TC itself.

Further, The OpenStack Foundation Individual Member Policy (appendix
1 of the Bylaws of the OpenStack Foundation) states that one of the
criteria for removal of an Individual Member is:

[3.iii] "failure to vote in at least 50% of the votes for Individual
Members within the prior twenty-four months unless the person does
not respond within thirty (30) days of notice of such termination
that the person wishes to continue to be an Individual Member."
https://www.openstack.org/legal/individual-member-policy/

I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it this is actually the
*primary* responsibility for an Individual member, so probably
doesn't make sense to remove from the bylaws at all.

The one thing which might be easier for the TC to change directly is
the requirements for PTL candidates, since the OSF bylaws have
nothing to say about team-specific leadership structures. This is
instead encoded in the TC Charter:

"Any APC can propose their candidacy for the corresponding project
PTL election. Sitting PTLs are eligible to run for re-election each
cycle, provided they continue to meet the criteria."
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/charter.html#candidates-for-ptl-seats

[and just before that]

"Voters for a given project’s PTL election are the Active Project
Contributors (“APC”), which are a subset of the Foundation
Individual Members. Individual Members who committed a change to a
repository of a project over the last two 6-month release cycles are
considered APC for that project team."
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/charter.html#voters-for-ptl-seats-apc

So the TC could decide that PTL candidates and those who elect PTLs
don't have to be OSF Individual Members simply by amending its
charter. This doesn't solve the problem for TC candidates and their
electorate, but it's a start. One thing I feel obligated to point
out though, is that making the PTL electorate and candidates not
require OSF membership while the TC electorate and candidates do
would further complicate our already incredibly complex election
tooling, so please take that into consideration.
--
Jeremy Stanley