[nova][kolla] questions on cells

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 19:08:39 UTC 2019

On 9/30/2019 12:27 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> 2. Do console proxies need to live in the cells? This is what devstack
>> does in superconductor mode. I did some digging through nova code, and
>> it looks that way. Testing with novncproxy agrees. This suggests we
>> need to expose a unique proxy endpoint for each cell, and configure
>> all computes to use the right one via e.g. novncproxy_base_url,
>> correct?
> I'll punt this to Melanie, as she's the console expert at this point,
> but I imagine you're right.

Based on the Rocky spec [1] which says:

"instead we will resolve the cell database issue by running console
proxies per cell instead of global to a deployment, such that the cell
database is local to the console proxy"

Yes it's per-cell. There was stuff in the Rock release notes about this
[2] and a lot of confusion around the deprecation of the
nova-consoleauth service for which Mel knows the details, but it looks
like we really should have something documented about this too, here [3]
and/or here [4].

[1]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/rocky/implemented/convert-consoles-to-objects.html
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/nova/rocky.html