Retiring stale repositories from the OpenStack org on GitHub

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Sep 24 14:16:39 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

The migration of our infrastructure to the Opendev domain gave us the
opportunity to no longer have everything under "openstack" and stop the
confusion around what is a part of OpenStack and what is just hosted on
the same infrastructure. To that effect, in April we transferred
non-OpenStack repositories to their own organization names on Opendev,
with the non-claimed ones being kept for the time being under a "x"
default organization.

One consequence of that transition is that non-OpenStack repositories
that were previously mirrored to GitHub under the "openstack"
organization are now stale and no longer updated, which is very
misleading. Those should now be retired, with a clear pointer to the
original repository on Opendev. Jim and I volunteered to build tools to
do handle that retirement and we are now ready to run those Thursday.

This will not affect OpenStack repositories or repositories that were
already retired or migrated off the OpenStack org on GitHub (think
openstack-infra, opendev, airship...). That will only clean up
no-longer-mirrored, stale, non-openstack repositories still present in
the OpenStack GitHub organization.

If you own a non-openstack repository on Opendev and would like to
enable GitHub mirroring (to a GitHub org of your choice), it is possible
to configure it as part of your Zuul jobs. You can follow instructions at:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-April/005007.html

Cheers,

--
Jim and Thierry