[tc] Results of the two TC CIVS polls

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Sep 19 08:12:40 UTC 2019

Graham Hayes wrote:
> On 18/09/2019 16:22, Sean McGinnis wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 01:14:38PM +0100, Graham Hayes wrote:
>>> Release Naming:
>>>
>>> 1. Tied:
>>>     Do not change current model of geographic names - No review
>>>     Name releases after major cities -
>>> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/677745/
>>> 3.
>>>     Name releases after the ICAO alphabet -
>>> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/677746/
>>>
>>> Full results:
>>> https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?num_winners=1&id=E_0a9abdadec887a6b&algorithm=beatpath
>>
>> The scope of this vote was not clear. This was only as far as changing
>> the naming scheme for the remaining V-X, right? Or was it meant for
>> anything past Ussuri?
>
> OpenStack Release Naming for V-Z was the title of the poll. The intent
> was we would sort out V-Z, and then worry about the post Z names.
>
> This is proving to be harder than expected as you can see - so I am not
> sure what the route forward is.

If the best alternate options we had can't beat "keep it the same", then
I'd say it means we should keep the same naming system until we can come
up with something sufficiently compelling to switch to.

I still support finding a simpler way to find names (for V->Z *and* for
the rollover), but this is not super-urgent -- we have a few months to
find a better system.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)