[tc] Results of the two TC CIVS polls

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Wed Sep 18 19:48:37 UTC 2019

On 18/09/2019 16:22, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 01:14:38PM +0100, Graham Hayes wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We had two votes running for the TC - V->Z naming, and the TC Chair.
>>
>> The results are as follows:
>>
>> Release Naming:
>>
>> 1. Tied:
>> 	Do not change current model of geographic names - No review
>> 	Name releases after major cities - https://review.opendev.org/#/c/677745/
>> 3.
>> 	Name releases after the ICAO alphabet -
>> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/677746/
>>
>> Full results:
>> https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?num_winners=1&id=E_0a9abdadec887a6b&algorithm=beatpath
>>

> The scope of this vote was not clear. This was only as far as changing the
> naming scheme for the remaining V-X, right? Or was it meant for anything past
> Ussuri?

OpenStack Release Naming for V-Z was the title of the poll. The intent
was we would sort out V-Z, and then worry about the post Z names.

This is proving to be harder than expected as you can see - so I am not
sure what the route forward is.

> If it's the former, then I am very happy to see there was not strong support to
> changing the current naming scheme mid-alphabet. I believe that would have been
> confusing (or just out right odd) to our end users.

Yes, this was driven by the lack of people willing to commit to running
the poll, and people who had issues with how the TC ran the last one.

Personally, I don't see a huge issue with it, (barring the issue with
potentially not having a venue city to choose from for one of the 2020
and one 2021 release).

> I do hope to see a plan for what we would like to see happen once we cycle back
> to A though.

Yes - I think that is an interesting discussion, and something that
should start now - we do need to know what to expect :)

> Sean

Graham