[all][interop][cinder][qa] API changes with/withoutmicroversion and Tempest verification of API interoperability

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Sep 17 14:05:57 UTC 2019

 ---- On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 01:41:23 -0700  <zhu.fanglei at zte.com.cn> wrote ----
 > Seems we can hardly reach an agreement about whether to use microverion for fields added in response, but, I think for tempest, things are simpler, we can add schema check according to the api-ref, and if some issues are found (like groups field) in older version, we can simply remove that field from required fields. That won't happen very often.

I do not think we should do that. When I proposed the idea of doing the strict JSON schema validation for volume API, main goal was to block any backward compatible or non-interoperable changes in API strictly. Compute JSON schema strict validation is good example to show the benefits of doing that.

Idea behind strict validation is we have a predefined schema for API response with its optional/mandatory fields, name, type, range etc and compare with the API actual response and see if any API field is added, removed, type changed, range changed etc.
If we do not do 'required' field or AdditionalPropoerties=False then, there is no meaning of strict validation. I will leave those API from strict validation. I have commented the same in your all open patches also. JSON schema strict validation has to be completely strict validation or no validation.

As you mentioned about the api-ref, I do not think we have well-defined api-ref for volume case. You can see that during Tempest schema implementation, you have fixed 18 bugs in api-ref[1]. I always go with what code return as code is what end user get response from.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:openstack/cinder+branch:master+topic:bp/volume-response-schema-validation

-gmann