[kolla] Support Octavia for ubuntu binary on stable/rocky?

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Tue Sep 17 09:14:18 UTC 2019

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 at 06:36, Eddie Yen <missile0407 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Octavia in Rocky release with Ubuntu binary distro. And found that there're no docker images for Ubuntu binary.
> Then I checked the Kolla dockerfile and found that it will not build the image since it's not support yet.
> But I found that the Ubuntu Cloud Archive Team has already putted Octavia packages into cloud repository [1]. Since some images built using from this PPA, I think it can support ubuntu binary in Rocky release.
>
> I tried put package code into Docker files and build, but it gave me an error message like below:
> ERROR:kolla.common.utils:octavia-api Failed with status: matched
> ERROR:kolla.common.utils:octavia-health-manager Failed with status: matched
> ERROR:kolla.common.utils:octavia-housekeeping Failed with status: matched
> ERROR:kolla.common.utils:octavia-worker Failed with status: matched
>
> So I think there's limit somewhere. How can I release it?
>
> Thanks,
> Eddie.
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-cloud-archive/+archive/ubuntu/rocky-staging

Hi Eddie,

We explicitly fail when building octavia images on ubuntu/binary, see
docker/octavia/octavia-base/Dockerfile.j2:

RUN echo '{{ install_type }} not yet available for {{ base_distro }}' \
            && /bin/false

If you think we can support octavia now, please propose a patch to
master branch. I'm afraid we can't accept new features to stable
branches though, so you'll have to carry this change locally.

Mark