[i18n][mogan][neutron][swift][tc][valet] Cleaning up IRC logging for defunct channels

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Sep 17 06:23:25 UTC 2019

On 17/09/2019 07.11, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 7:20 AM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>>
>> Freenode imposes a hard limit of 120 simultaneously joined channels
>> for any single account. We've once again reached that limit with our
>> channel-logging meetbot. As a quick measure, I've proposed a bit of
>> cleanup: https://review.opendev.org/682500
>>
>> Analysis of IRC channel logs indicates the following have seen 5 or
>> fewer non-bot comments posted in the past 12 months and are likely
>> of no value to continue logging:
>>
>>      5 #openstack-vpnaas
>
> I would like to add the following channels to this list in addition to
> #openstack-vpnaas.
> This is what I think recently but I haven't discussed it yet with the team.
>
> - openstack-fwaas
> - networking-sfc
>
> I see only 5~20 members in these channels constantly.
> Developments in FWaaS and SFC are not so active, so I don't see a good
> reason to have a separate channel.
> They can be merged into the main neutron channel #openstack-neutron.

If you retire the channel completely, also remove the bot notifications
from project-config.

> Is there any guideline on how to guide users to migrate a channel to
> another channel?

I think the following would work:

https://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/irc.html#renaming-an-irc-channel

Andreas
--
  Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com Twitter: jaegerandi
   SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D 90409 Nürnberg