[kolla] State of ppc64le support

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Mon Sep 16 15:54:21 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:36 AM Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 10:51 AM Marcin Juszkiewicz <
> marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org> wrote:
>
>> About 2.5 years ago I added AArch64 (64-bit ARM) architecture support to
>> Kolla project. Side effect of that work was adding ppc64le (64-bit
>> Power, Little Endian) support.
>>
>> Time passed, from time to time someone jumped to the irc channel and
>> said that they use it. No one in core team spent much time on supporting
>> it as it was outside of our interest.
>>
>> From time to time I was reserving Power machine in Red Hat to do build
>> and check how we are with ppc64le support. This week I did that again.
>>
>> From 3 distributions we target only Debian/source combo was buildable.
>>
>> CentOS builds lack 'rabbitmq' 3.7.10 (we use external repo) and
>> 'gnocchi' binary images are not buildable due to lack of some packages
>> (issue already reported to CentOS by TripleO team).
>>
>> Ubuntu builds lack MariaDB 10.3 because upstream repo is broken.
>> Packages index is provided for 'ppc64le' but no packages so we get 404
>> errors.
>>

>> Due to all those issues and fact that there are no users of ppc64le
>> Kolla containers I want to drop support for it in this cycle. Any
>> objections?
>>

> I think TripleO uses the ppc64le containers. I'm unsure if we're relying
> on anything special to build them however.  I know there's been some effort
> to get a pp64le upstream build system going.  ccing Wes as he might have
> the status on this.

The TripleO team is working on ppc64le right now and should be uploading
ppc64le containers to docker.io in a few weeks.  I'm pretty sure the ppc
team is using kolla to build the containers, but I'm not 100% sure as the
ppc64le container build jobs are in a 3rd party ci system.

I'm checking with some folks to get the details that would be helpful here.

Thanks.