[devstack][qa][python3] "also install the Python 2 dev library" - still needed?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Sep 9 14:32:58 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-09 12:54:58 +0100 (+0100), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> i hope more distros elect to symlink /usr/bin/python to python 3
> some distros have chosen to do that on systems that are python
> only and i believe that is the correct approch.

I personally hope they don't, and at least my preferred Linux distro
is not planning to do that any time in the foreseeable future (if
ever). I see python and python3 as distinct programming languages
with their own interpreters, and so any distro which by default
pretends that its python3 interpreter is a python interpreter (by
claiming the unversioned "python" executable name in the system
context search path) is simply broken.

> when i encountered this it was always resuliting on the script
> header being #!/usr/bin/python  with no version suffix i gues on a
> system where that points to python 3 the python 2.7 install might
> write python2.7 there instead?

Yes, the correct solution is to update those to #!/usr/bin/python3
because at least some distros are going to cease providing a
/usr/bin/python executable at all when they drop their 2.7 packages.
--
Jeremy Stanley