[placement][ptl][tc] Call for Placement PTL position

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Mon Sep 9 13:23:19 UTC 2019

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 3:34 PM, Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 8:04 AM Balázs Gibizer <balazs.gibizer at est.tech<mailto:balazs.gibizer at est.tech>> wrote:
I guess I'm one of the reluctant people. I think technically I can do it but I don't want to commit to work when I don't see that I will have enough time to do it well. For me this is all about priorities and the amount of work I'm already commited to at the moment. Still I'm open to get tasks delegated to me, like doing the project update in Sanghai.
If it's okay with you, would you like to share what are some of the priorities and work that you feel is placed on a PTL which makes you reluctant? PS, by no means I am trying to push for you to be PTL if you're not currently interested, but I want to hear some of the community thoughts about this (and feel free to reply privately)

I preceive the PTL role as a person who oversees the project and follows the status of the ongoing features and high severity bugs. A person who organizes Forum and PTG discussions and ensures that the results are documented. A person who tries to improve the overal collaboration in the given project. And I guess there are things on the PTL's plate that I'm not even aware of. This needs time and it needs commitment to have that time available during the whole cycle. I'm in a situation where I constantly feel the lack of time to do my current commitments (e.g. be a good Nova core, be a good Placement core, finish the feature I promised both to the community and internally to my employer.) I think it won't be fair from me to commit to the PTL role when I already see I would not have time to do it properly.

On the personal side I guess I also affraid of not having enough skill to delegeta the above PTL related tasks to others.

Based on the above my constructive suggestion is to try out that the Placement core team together try to fulfill the PTL's role. I know that for the TC it creates some extra pain as there would be no single point of contact for the Placement project.

Cheers,
gibi