[i18n][tc] The future of I18n

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Sep 9 10:30:56 UTC 2019

Ian Y. Choi wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 11:36:38AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> :The I18n project team had no PTL candidates for Ussuri, so the TC needs to
>> :decide what to do with it. It just happens that Ian kindly volunteered to be
>> :an election official, and therefore could not technically run for I18n PTL.
>> :So if Ian is still up for taking it, we could just go and appoint him.
>
> I love I18n, and I could not imagine OpenStack world without I18n - I
> would like to take I18n PTL role for Ussuari cycle if there is no
> objection.

Great! I posted a review to suggest that the TC appoints you at:
https://review.opendev.org/680968

>> :That said, I18n evolved a lot, to the point where it might fit the SIG
>> :profile better than the project team profile.
>> [...]
>
> IMHO, since it seems that I18n team's release activities [5] are rather
> stable, from the perspective, I think staying I18n team as SIG makes
> sense, but please kindly consider the followings:
>
> - Translators who have contributed translations to official OpenStack
> projects are currendly regarded as ATC and APC of the I18n project.
>    It would be great if OpenStack TC and official project teams regard
> those translation contribution as ATC and APC of corresponding official
> projects, if I18n team stays as SIG.

Note that SIG members are considered ATCs (just like project team
members) and can vote in the TC election... so there would be no
difference really (except I18n SIG members would no longer have to
formally vote for a PTL).

> [...]
> - Another my brief understanding on the difference between as an
> official team and as SIG from the perspective of Four Opens is that SIGs
> and working groups seems that they have some flexibility using
> non-opensource tools for communication.
>    For example, me, as PTL currently encourage all the translators to
> come to the tools official teams use such as IRC, mailing lists, and
> Launchpad (note: I18n team has not migrated from Launchpad to
> Storyboard) - I like to use them and
>    I strongly believe that using such tools can assure that the team is
> following Four Opens well. But sometimes I encounter some reality -
> local language teams prefer to use their preferred communication protocols.
>    I might need to think more how I18n team as SIG communicates well
> with members, but I think the team members might want to more find out
> how to better communicate with language teams (e.g., using Hangout,
> Slack, and so on from the feedback)
>    , and try to use better communication tools which might be
> comfortable to translators who have little background on development.

Yes, it's true that SIGs have more freedom in how they operate, and so
the diversity of communication tools used by the translators might be
another reason the I18n team fits the SIG profile at this point better
than the Project Team profile.

> Note that I have not discussed the details with team members - I am
> still open with my thoughts, would like to more listen to opinions from
> the team members, and originally wanted to expand the discussion with
> such perspective during upcoming PTG
> in Shanghai with more Chinese translators.
> And dear OpenStackers including I18n team members & translators: please
> kindly share your sincere thoughts.

Certainly, the idea is not to rush anything -- the team will continue to
operate as a project team for the time being. But if the team agrees,
transitioning to a SIG is pretty cheap, and I feel like the SIG format
fits the group better at this point (and gives extra flexibility)... so
it is one thing to consider :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)