[all][elections][ptl] Combined Project Team Lead and Technical Committee Election Conclusion and Results

Hongbin Lu hongbin034 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 21:22:25 UTC 2019

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 1:49 PM Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 5/09/19 7:36 AM, Tom Barron wrote:
> > On 05/09/19 19:33 +0900, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> >> ---- On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 19:04:39 +0900 Chris Dent
> >> <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote ----

> >> definitely reducing
> >> expectations with
> >> further, to drive

> >> +1 on this but instead of slow down and make vendors suffer we need
> >> the proper
> >> way to notify or make them understand about the future cutoff effect
> >> on OpenStack
> >> as software. I know we have been trying every possible way but I am
> >> sure there are
> >> much more managerial steps can be taken.  I expect Board of Director
> >> to come forward
> >> on this as an accountable entity. TC should raise this as high
> >> priority issue to them (in meetings,
> >> joint leadership meeting etc).
> >>
> >> I am sure this has been brought up before, can we make OpenStack
> >> membership company
> >> to have a minimum set of developers to maintain upstream. With the
> >> current situation, I think
> >> it make sense to ask them to contribute manpower also along with
> >> membership fee.  But again
> >> this is more of BoD and foundation area.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > IIUC Gold Membership in the Foundation provides voting privileges at a
> > cost of $50-200K/year and Corporate Sponsorship provides these plus
> > various marketing benefits at a cost of $10-25K/year.  So far as I can
> > tell there is not a requirement of a commitment of contributors and
> > maintainers with the exception of the (currently closed) Platinum
> > Membership, which costs $500K/year and requires at least 2 FTE
> > equivalents contributing to OpenStack.
>
> Even this incredibly minimal requirement was famously not met for years
> by one platinum member, and a (different) platinum member was accepted
> without ever having contributed upstream in the past or apparently ever
> intending to in the future.
>
> What I'm saying is that if this a the mechanism we want to use to drive
> contributions, I can tell you now how it's gonna work out.
>
> The question we should be asking ourselves is why companies see value in
> being sponsors of the foundation but not in contributing upstream, and
> how we convince them of the value of the latter.

One of the reason could be the vendors have their own implementation of the
OpenStack APIs instead of using the upstream implementation. Those vendors
probably don't have much motivation on contributing upstream because they
are not using the upstream code (except the APIs). A follow-up question is
why those vendors chose to re-implement OpenStack instead of using the
upstream one. This would be an interesting question to ask.