[tc] Campaign Question: Treating the Problem, not just the symptoms- Burnout, No Polling, etc

Tom Barron tpb at dyncloud.net
Fri Sep 6 18:20:20 UTC 2019

On 06/09/19 13:10 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>On 2019-09-06 13:27:53 +0100 (+0100), Chris Dent wrote:
>[...]
>> Most people work on OpenStack because it is their job or is closely
>> related to their job. But because it is "open source" and "a
>> community" and "collaborative" doing what people ask for and helping
>> others achieve what they need is but one small piece of the
>> motivation and action calculus.
>[...]
>
>I don't know that this captures my motivation, at least. I chose my
>job so that I could assist in the creation and maintenance of
>OpenStack and similar free software, not the other way around. Maybe
>I'm in a minority within the community, but I suspect there are more
>folks than just me who feel the same.

Me too, though I'm fortunate enough to have an employer who genuinely
values open source work, including building and fostering open source
communities.  I've worked for others where open source work was always
only an instrumental goal, not an end in itself -- indeed I think it
was sometimes considered a necessary evil.

-- Tom