[openstack-dev] Are we ready to put stable/ocata into extended maintenance mode?

Yatin Karel ykarel at redhat.com
Tue Sep 3 14:03:12 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:54 AM Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote:

> > > Bringing this backup to see what we need to do to get the stable/ocata
> > > branches ended for the TripleO projects.   I'm bringing this up
> > > because we have https://review.openstack.org/#/c/647009/ which is for
> > > the upcoming rename but CI is broken and we have no interest in
> > > continue to keep the stable/ocata branches alive (or fix ci for them).
> > >
> > So we had a discussion yesterday in TripleO meeting regarding EOL of
> > Ocata and Pike Branches for TripleO projects, and there was no clarity
> > regarding the process of making the branches EOL(is just pushing a
> > change to openstack/releases(deliverables/ocata/<project>.yaml)
> > creating ocata-eol tag enough or something else is also needed), can
> > someone from Release team point us in the right direction.
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -Alex
> > >

> It would appear we have additional information we should add to somewhere like:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html
>
> or
>
> https://releases.openstack.org/#references
>
> I believe it really is just a matter of requesting the new tag in the
> openstack/releases repo. There is a good example of this when Tony did it for
> TripleO's stable/newton branch:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/583856/

Thanks Sean, so ocata-eol[1] and pike-eol[2] patches were proposed for
TripleO and they are merged, both ocata-eol and pike-eol tags got
created after the patches merged. But still stable/ocata and
stable/pike branches exist. Can someone from Release Team get them
cleared so there is no option left to get cherry-pick proposed to
these EOL branches. If any step from TripleO maintainers is needed
please guide.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/677478/
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/678154/

> I think I recall there were some additional steps Tony took at the time, but I
> think everything is now covered by the automated process. Tony, please correct
> me if I am wrong.
>
> Not sure if it applies, but you may want to see if there are any Zuul jobs that
> need to be cleaned up or anything of that sort.
>
> We do say branches will be in unmaintained in the Extended Maintenance phase
> for six months before going End of Life. Looking at Ocata, that happened April
> 5 of this year. Six months would put it at the beginning of October. But I
> think if the team knows they will not be accepting any more patches to these
> branches, then it is better to get it clearly marked as EOL so proper
> expectations are set.
>
> Sean

Thanks and Regards
Yatin Karel