[kolla-ansible] Correct way to add/remove nodes.

Eddie Yen missile0407 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 07:51:28 UTC 2019

Hi,

I wanna know the correct way to add/remove nodes since I can't find the
completely document or tutorial about this part.

Here's what I know for now.

For addition:
1. Install OS and setting up network on new servers.
2. Add new server's information into /etc/hosts and inventory file
3. Do bootstrapping to these servers by using bootstrap-servers with
--limit option
4. (For Ceph OSD node) Add disk label to the disks that will become OSD.
5. Deploy again.

For deletion (Compute):
1. Do migration if there're VMs exist on target node.
2. Set nova-compute service down on target node. Then remove the service
from nova cluster.
3. Disable all Neutron agents on target node and remove from Neutron
cluster.
4. Using kolla-ansible to stop all containers on target node.
5. Cleanup all containers and left settings by using cleanup-containers and
cleanup-host script.

For deletion (Ceph OSD node):
1. Remove all OSDs on target node by following Ceph tutorial.
2. Using kolla-ansible to stop all containers on target node.
3. Cleanup all containers and left settings by using cleanup-containers and
cleanup-host script.

Now I'm not sure about Controller if there's one controller down and want
to add another one into HA cluster. My thought is that add into cluster
first, then delete the informations about corrupted controller. But I have
no clue about the details. Only about Ceph controller (mon, rgw, mds,. etc)

Does anyone has experience about this?

Many thanks,
Eddie.