[tripleo] Re: Where do we support running tripleoclient

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Oct 30 16:59:56 UTC 2019

fixed the subject

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:36 AM Dougal Matthews <dougal at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Pretty much as the subject says. Do we specify where we support running
> tripleoclient? In theory it should run anywhere with the correct
> environment variables. However, as far as I understand most users run it on
> the undercloud itself. Is this something we have a position on?
>
> To give a little more context, this is relevant when replacing Mistral
> with Ansible. Can we assume that we are running ansible only against
> localhost or do we need to create an inventory for the undercloud?

Where do we currently assume it's run from? the undercloud. Where should we
assume it can be run from going forward? anywhere.  For the mistral
converted actions, it's likely that we might want to run them using
localconnection rather than a specific host depending on the action (e.g.
openstack api actions can be run using localconnection because they are
just api calls). However yes I would think that we might want to construct
an inventory file for remote actions.