[nova][ptg] Continue QoS port support

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Fri Oct 25 10:17:13 UTC 2019

Hi Novas!

Here is my summarized plans for Ussuri about continuing the work on
supporting qos neutron ports (those that has bandwidth resource
request) in nova.

What is missing:
* Tempest coverage is missing for migrate and resize support that is
merged in Train. This work is already underway and bugs has been caught
[1][2]
* Support evacuate, live migrate, unshelve. The work is described in
[3][4] and the first set of patches for the evacuation support is up
for review [5]
* Support for cross cell resize with qos port needs some work. Matt
prepared the cross cell resize code already in a way that no new RPC
change will be needed [6] and I have a plan what to do [7].
* InstancePCIRequest persists parent_ifname during migration but the
such change is not rolled back if the migration fails. This is ugly but
I think it does not cause any issues [8]. I will look into this to
remove the ugliness.

The bandwidth support for the nova-manage heal_allocation tool was
merged in Train. Originally I planned to backport that to Stein but
that patch grown so big and incorporated may refactors along the way
that I'm not sure any more that it is reasonable to backport it. I'm
now thinking about keeping it as-is and suggesting operators to install
Train nova in a virtualenv to run heal allocations for bandwidth aware
servers if needed in Stein. I do have to run some manual tests to see
if it actually works.

Any feedback is welcome!

cheers,
gibi