[magnum][kubernetes] Train release updates

feilong feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Oct 24 05:56:36 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Glad to see the Train just released. I'd like to take this opportunity
to highlight some cool features Magnum team have done in this cycle.
Please feel free to pop up at #openstack-containers for any feedback.
Thank you.

1. Fedora CoreOS driver

Finally we get this done in this cycle which is quite important and
urgent. Because the Fedora Atomic will be end of life soon (at the end
of this Nov?). Now with stable/train, user can create k8s cluster based
on Fedora CoreOS image. We're welcome for any feedback about this.

2. Node group

This is a quite large feature, thanks for the great work from CERN team
and StackHPC. With this feature, user can create different node groups
with different specs.

3. Rolling upgrade

Now user can do rolling upgrade for both k8s version and the node
operating system without downtime, it's a quite important feature.

4. Auto healing

With auto healing feature, a small service will be deployed on k8s
cluster to monitor the health status of the cluster and replace broken
node when failure detected.

5. Volume based k8s nodes

Now user can create a Kubernetes cluster with nodes based on volume and
the volume type is configurable. User can even set the volume type of
etcd volume which is very useful for cloud providers who want to use SSD
for etcd and k8s nodes.

6. Private cluster

As a security best practice, isolating Kubernetes clusters from Internet
access is one of the most desired features for enterprise users. Now
user has the flexibility to create a private cluster by default, only
allow the API exposed on Internet or fully opened.

--
Cheers & Best regards,
Feilong Wang (王飞龙)
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington