[tc][horizon][all] Horizon plugins maintenance

Ivan Kolodyazhny e0ne at e0ne.info
Wed Oct 23 12:41:21 UTC 2019

Hi team,

As you may know, we've got a pretty big list of Horizon Plugins [1].
Unfortunately, not all of them are in active development due to the lack of
resources in projects teams.

As a Horizon team, we understand all the reasons, and we're doing our best
to help other teams to maintain plugins.

That's why we're proposing our help to maintain horizon plugins. We raised
this topic during the last Horizon weekly meeting [2] and we'll have some
discussion during the PTG [3] too.

There are a lot of Horizon changes which affect plugins and horizon team is
ready to help:
- new Django versions
- dependencies updates
- Horizon API changes
- etc.

To get faster fixes in, it would be good to have +2 permissions for the
horizon-core team for each plugin.

We helped Heat team during the last cycle adding horizon-core to the
heat-dashboard-core team. Also, we've got +2 on other plugins via global
project config [4] and via Gerrit configuration for
(neutron-*aas-dashboard, tuskar-ui).

Vitrage PTL agreed to do the same for vitrage-dashboard during the last
meeting [5].

Of course, it's up to each project to maintain horizon plugins and it's
responsibilities but I would like to raise this topic to the TC too. I
really sure, that it will speed up some critical fixes for Horizon plugins
and makes users and operators experience better.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/horizon/latest/install/plugin-registry.html
[2]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/horizon/2019/horizon.2019-10-16-15.02.log.html#l-128
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/horizon-u-ptg