RMQ notifications.info has no consumers

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Mon Oct 21 17:15:04 UTC 2019

On 21/10/2019 17:54, Albert Braden wrote:
> I installed the RMQ management plugin in my dev and qa clusters and
> noticed a queue called notifications.info that has 0 consumers:
>

> root at us01odc-qa-ctrl1:~# rabbitmqctl list_queues|grep notific
>
> notifications.info      15496
>

> If I cold-start RMQ it starts without a notifications.info queue but
> after I create a VM it appears with 1 or 2 messages and then gradually
> grows over time. The messages in it appear to be Openstack operations:
<snip/>

> I didn’t install the management plugin in prod, but it appears that I
> have the same issue there:
>

> root at us01odc-p01-ctrl1:~# rabbitmqctl list_queues|grep notific
>
> notifications.info      226869
>

> What should be consuming the notifications.info queue?

Usually something like ceilometer or other telemetry projects,
or projects like Designate and searchlight that don't always have hooks
into nova or neutron, or custom tooling.

If nothing is consuming them,. you can either set the ttl on the
RMQ queue [1] to something small (just in case you want to look at them)
or disable them [2]

1 - https://www.rabbitmq.com/ttl.html
2 - e.g. in Nova
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/notifications.html