[nova][all] Roadmap for dropping Python 2 support

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Mon Oct 14 14:00:56 UTC 2019

The time has come. Train is almost out the door and we're already well
into Ussuri planning and work. We agreed some time ago that this cycle
was the right one to drop support for Python 2.7 [1] and to that effect
I've proposed a patch to do just this in nova [2].

However, I have noticed a large number of the third party CIs are
failing on this patch. This is because they are still testing with
Python 2 and the patch marks nova as only supporting Python 3. As you
can see in that patch, the effort to switch things over is not that
significant, and I'd ask that any owners of third party CIs prioritise
work to switch these things over in the next few weeks leading up to
the PTG so we can merge this change as soon as possible. Please reach
out on IRC if you have any concerns or questions.

Cheers,
Stephen

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20180529-python2-deprecation-timeline.html#python2-deprecation-timeline
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/687954/