[nova][ptg] Review culture (was: Ussuri scope containment)

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Tue Oct 1 16:19:44 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 5:00 PM, Eric Fried <openstack at fried.cc> wrote:
> Thanks for the responses, all.
>
> This subthread is becoming tangential to my original purpose, so I'm
> renaming it.
>
>>>  The best way to get reviews is to lurk in IRC and beg.
> <snip>
>>  When I joined I was taught that instead of begging go and review
>> open
>>  patches which a) helps the review load of dev team b) makes you
>> known
>>  in the community. Both helps getting reviews on your patches. Does
>> it
>>  always work? No. Do I like begging for review? No. Do I like to get
>>  repatedly pinged to review? No. So I would suggest not to declare
>> that
>>  the only way to get review is to go and beg.
>
> I recognize I was generalizing; begging isn't really "the best way" to
> get reviews. Doing reviews and becoming known (and *then* begging :)
> is
> far more effective -- but is literally impossible for many
> contributors.
> Even if they have the time (percentage of work week) to dedicate
> upstream, it takes massive effort and time (calendar) to get there. We
> can not and should not expect this of every contributor.

Sure, it is not easy for a new commer to read a random nova patch. But
I think we should encourage them to do so. As that is one of the way
how a newcomer will learn how nova (as software) works. I don't expect
from a newcommer to point out in a nova review that I made a mistake
about an obscure nova specific construct. But I think a newcommer still
can give us valuable feedback about the code readability, about generic
python usage, about English grammar...

gibi