[kolla][openstack-ansible][tripleo] CentOS 8 host migration

Jonathan Rosser jonathan.rosser at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 11:29:21 UTC 2019

On 25/11/2019 17:48, Mark Goddard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the recent kolla PTG discussions [1], we covered CentOS 8 in
> some detail. For kolla there are several aspects to CentOS 8 support:
>
> * kolla-build execution host
> * container images
> * kolla-ansible execution host
> * kolla-ansible remote hosts

Hi Mark,

Whilst the container approach in openstack-ansible is different (LXC)
and presents it's own challenges for Centos8, there is no doubt a common
set of issues. We also do a container-less bare-metal deploy mode which
would be the first to try to get working.

I have a WIP patch for OSA for Centos-8 for a while now which really
does not get so far.

https://review.opendev.org/#/c/689629

I've not yet managed to create dummy interfaces with network-manager
which leads to a horrible hack setting up the networking for CI.

Also failing was building of dbus-python which is required for the
Ansible nmcli module, due to an incompatibility with autotools 1.16.

There are a also few pieces we take from EPEL (lsyncd) which are missing.

Then there is/was the absence of an obvious source of RDO packages.

I am concerned about the difficulty of creating a tractable upgrade path
which separates OS from OpenStack upgrades. For openstack-ansible, Rocky
was the transition release which supported both Xenial and Bionic.
Achieving the same transition release for Centos 7 to 8 upgrades looks
challenging.

Jon.