[tc][stable] Changing stable branch policy

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Nov 25 18:24:19 UTC 2019

On 20/11/19 9:21 am, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 11/20/2019 1:18 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
>> Because the core stable team is necessarily not as familiar with the
>> review/backport history of contributors in every project as the
>> individual project stable team is with contributors in each project.
>
> This is assuming that each project has a stable core team already, which
> a lot don't, that's why we get a lot of "hi I'm the PTL du jour on
> project X now please make me stable core even though I've never reviewed
> any stable branch changes before".

Correct, what I'm suggesting is a middle-ground position so that in the
cases where there is no project-specific stable team, that team has to
be bootstrapped by the global stable-maint team in the same way that
they do already.

This avoids the situation you mention, where e.g. the TC appoints a PTL
who does not even qualify to run for election (no commits to the
project) and suddenly they're able to approve stable backports with no
training or oversight. We're obliged to appoint a PTL for every project,
whether they're qualified or not, but we should not be obliged to add
unqualified people to the project stable core team.

For the cases where there *is* already a project stable team, it allows
folks who have already been vetted and who are closest to the data to
have input on the decision, and it relieves the burden of 3 already
overworked people who are currently required to do all of the vetting of
new stable reviewers.

cheers,
Zane.