[nova][ops] heads up: change in behavior for resize and migrate server action APIs

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 22:30:54 UTC 2019

Hey all,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a recent change [1] in
behavior for the resize [2] and migrate [3] server action APIs:

https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/nova/unreleased.html#other-notes

The scheduling step for resize and migrate has been changed from
synchronous to asynchronous, so users will no longer receive a 400 error
for NoValidHost.

To discover whether the resize or migrate has failed during scheduling,
users must use the server actions API [4], which is called "server
events" in the openstackclient [5].

There is a WIP proposal [6] to add exception messages to events in the
server actions API:

https://review.opendev.org/694428

in order to communicate additional failure info to non-admin users. I
think we'll want this as the server actions API becomes more of a source
of information for the end user. Feel free reply here or visit the
review to add your thoughts.

Cheers,
-melanie

[1] https://review.opendev.org/693937