[gnocchi][telemetry][ceilometer][cloudkitty] Gnocchi unmaintained

Nate Johnston nate.johnston at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 20:53:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 03:29:01PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-11-21 13:57:56 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-11-21 at 13:29 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
> > > With my Debian OpenStack package maintainer hat on: I will
> > > certainly ignore any backend that would be using MongoDB or
> > > InfluxDB, as these cannot be used without non-debian packages.
> >
> > influxdb is mit licensed so im not sure why you would not be able
> > to package or redistribute it in debian.
> [...]
>
> And indeed, it's been packaged in Debian for years, and still is:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/influxdb
>
> The main concern about it is the open-core development model where
> "advanced" features like stability and redundancy require you to
> purchase their proprietary enterprise version instead of the less
> full-featured (but freely-licensed) community version:
>
> https://www.influxdata.com/blog/update-on-influxdb-clustering-high-availability-and-monetization/

I know several very large sites (ingesting billions of records per day)
that run community InfluxDB and they get HA by putting influx-proxy [1]
in front of it.  I've evaluated it for large scale uses before as well,
and with influx-proxy I found no need for the clustering option.

Nate

[1] https://github.com/shell909090/influx-proxy