[dev] Upgrading flake8 to support f-strings

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 17:54:32 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-11-21 at 17:25 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2019-11-21 18:13:02 +0100 (+0100), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> [...]
> > We do cap those aggressively for a reason: bumping that cap
> > triggers pep8 job failures everywhere as flake8 decides to pay
> > attention to slightly different things, and we lose a lot of time
> > collectively chasing down those syntax glitches everywhere.
> >
> > Which is why we haven't really bumped those since 2016... But
> > proper support of f-strings might be a good reason to update?
> [...]
>
> Well, the QA team used to increase the recommendation to the latest
> version of the various checkers in use at the start of every new
> development cycle. It's apparently been a few cycles now since
> anyone remembered to do it (or cared).

I remembered and tried to update hacking to use a new version of flake8
some time back [1]. Unfortunately, flake8 3.x is a total rewrite and I
haven't found a way to port things across. I've tried at least a number
of different approaches, all to no avail. I even went and asked the
PyCQA folks for help [2] but unfortunately it looks like what we were
doing isn't possible anymore. I'm flat out of ideas on that so someone
other than me is going to have to take this migration upon themselves
or we're going to have to drop hacking so we can use a new flake8.

Stephen

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/hacking+branch:master+topic:bump-flake8
[2] https://gitlab.com/pycqa/flake8/issues/545