All VMs fail when --max exceeds available resources

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 16:52:29 UTC 2019

On 11/21/19 04:04, Sean Mooney wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-11-20 at 16:04 -0800, melanie witt wrote:
>> Changing the behavior would be an API change so it would need a spec and
>> new microversion, I think. It's been an undesirable behavior for a long
>> time but it seemingly hasn't been enough of a pain point for someone to
>> sign up and do the work.
> well what would be the api change i previous though that the behavior was some would go active and some would not
> if that is not the current behaviour it was change without a spec and that is a regressions.

If it's a regression, sure. But the bug [1] was opened on 2015-05-22
which was Liberty and I'm not aware that the behavior has ever been
different prior to Liberty (save for the parallel requests/race
condition case). I don't think it's a regression.

That said, if everyone else is cool with changing it without a spec,
that's fine with me. Either way, someone would have to spend the time
and do the work.

-melanie

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1458122