All VMs fail when --max exceeds available resources

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 20:10:13 UTC 2019

On 11/20/2019 1:02 PM, Albert Braden wrote:
> The other symptom is that the scheduler will send single VMs to a full
> hypervisor and overload it even though we have cpu_allocation_ratio and
> ram_allocation_ratio set to 1:

You're on Rocky correct? If allocation ratios are acting funky, you
should read through this:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/rocky/admin/configuration/schedulers.html#bug-1804125

There were some changes in Stein to help with configuring nova to deal
with allocation ratios per compute or via aggregate:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/configuration/schedulers.html#allocation-ratios

But what you'll likely need to do is manage the allocation ratios in
aggregate on the resource providers in placement. Fortunately there is a
CLI for doing that:

https://docs.openstack.org/osc-placement/latest/cli/index.html#resource-provider-inventory-set

e.g. openstack resource provider inventory set <aggregate_uuid>
--resource VCPU:allocation_ratio=1.0 --aggregate --amend

Anyway, see if that documented bug with allocation ratios is your issue
first and then go through the workarounds.

Matt