On next minimum libvirt / QEMU versions for "V" release

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Nov 18 18:11:06 UTC 2019

Heya,

The last time we incremented versions for libvirt and QEMU was during
the "Stein" release[1].  For "Train" we didn't do any.  Although we
advertized NEXT_MIN_{LIBVIRT,QEMU} versions for "Train" release to be
libvirt 4.0.0 and QEMU 2.11.0, but we actually didn't bump; we'll do
that for "Ussuri".

But before we bump the versions for "Ussuri", we need to pick NEXT_MIN
versions for the "V" release.  Based on the updated the
DistroSupportMatrix page[2], it looks we can pick the next libvirt and
QEMU versions for "V" release to the following:

    libvirt: 5.0.0 [GAed on: 15-Jan-2019]
    QEMU:    4.0.0 [GAed on: 24-Apr-2019]

I have the initial patch here[3] for comments.

Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu[4], CentOS, RHEL currently already ship the above
versions (actually, higher than those).  And it is reasonable to assume
-- but let's confirm below -- that openSUSE, SLES, and Oracle Linux
would also have the above versions available by "V" release time.

Action Items for Linux Distros
------------------------------

(a) Oracle Linux: Please update your libvirt/QEMU versions for Oracle
    Linux 8?

    I couldn't find anything related to libvirt/QEMU here:
    https://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-8.html.  (My educated guess is:
    the versions roughly match what's in CentOS/RHEL.)

(b) openSUSE and SLES: Same request as above.

    Andreas Jaegaer said on #openstack-infra that the proposed versions
    for 'V' release should be fine for SLES.  (And by extension open
    SUSE, I assume.)

                    - - -

Assuming Oracle Linux and SLES confirm, please let us know if there are
any objections if we pick NEXT_MIN_* versions for the OpenStack "V"
release to be libvirt: 5.0.0 and QEMU: 4.0.0.

Comments / alternative proposals welcome :-)

[1] https://opendev.org/openstack/nova/commit/489b5f762e -- Pick next
    minimum libvirt / QEMU versions for "T" release, 2018-09-25)
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix
[3] https://review.opendev.org/694821 -- [RFC] Pick NEXT_MIN
    libvirt/QEMU versions for "V" release
[4] For Ubuntu, I updated the versions based on what is in the Cloud
    Archive repo for "Bionic" (the LTS) release:
    http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ubuntu-server/cloud-archive/train_versions.html

--
/kashyap